PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Easy - Pay Rise
Thread: Easy - Pay Rise
View Single Post
Old 16th Nov 2005, 21:34
GasHog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Guys
Just wondering what the lowdown is for the proposed differing pay scales for euro bases.
Is this speculation or based on fact and does it apply to the regional UK bases or just new euro bases?

I'm joining in December as a DEP in a regional base and whilst my contract reflects a common UK salary level, I'm just wondering if there are plans afoot that will affect me on promotion to LHS - ie new local contracts.

By the way, count me in on BALPA. I'm not militant but fair Ts&Cs isn't too much to ask for and in my experience, once given away, terms will be extremely difficult to win back.
I'm packing in a very good job to join Easy and I'm wondering in with my eyes wide open. For me, it's the regional base that attracts due to new arrival in family and reappraisal of priorities. However, it shouldn't be necessary to have inferior local terms, they open these bases because they make money - as soon as they don't they're closed.
I've had bad experiences of BALPA in the past - it was the most expensive bloody diary I've ever owned, but it seems the company has left you nowhere to go but down the route of collective representation. We know we can't be greedy - it's a cut throat business and the industry history is peppered with now defunct or struggling airlines that upheld "dreamland" terms for too long. But l agree with just keeping things fair and in line with industry norm.
It's common and easy for bean counters and pilots who've gone to the "Dark Side" to look at the Pilots salary bill and choose it as the first port of call in cost cutting excercises. But airlines are unique in that you will rarely, if ever, find so many similarly professionally qualified people on a single payroll. The fact is aircraft don't fly themselves(thank God) - they require a number of professionally qualified individuals to operate and lets make no bones about it - they operate currently at a profit. I am not in the least bit uneasy with earning the salary I do. No one gave me my licence, I worked bloody hard and made a lot of personal and financial sacrifices to get it - as have all of us. But the fact remains that it is a PROFESSION and not just a job and the package should always reflect this.

Anyway, rant over. I'm not aboard yet but nevertheless, would like to offer my support to the CC at this time.

Look forward to flying with you all