PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NATS ATCO at 18
Thread: NATS ATCO at 18
View Single Post
Old 16th Nov 2005, 19:55
Topofthestack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I started at just over 18 and didn't regret it at the time. HOWEVER, after a long career in ATC, I now feel that getting a degree is a VERY useful insurance policy just in case you fail the very demanding training. It will also allow you to go for a whole range on ATC managerial jobs later in your careeer, both inside the major state employers but also within Eurocontrol. These latter posts often require a degree. if you don't have one then you can be at a major disadvantage with our continental cousins, who generally have one, and sometimes several! Taking a degree later in life is always a possibility, but the older you get the harder it becomes as you collect other life issues, like family, kids, mortgages etc. Whilst I've had an enjoyable ATC career, there are times that I'd have liked to apply for certain jobs but didn't have the necessary higher educational qualifications they were looking for. Whilst you can argue that the University of Life is better than anything, studying for a degree does offer give you the disciplines of how to study to a greater depth, and some analytical skills. Best of luck in whichever way you decide to go.