PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Aviation forum for Australians??
View Single Post
Old 27th Dec 2001, 17:59
PPRuNe Towers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Genuinely enjoying this thread and the thought it has provoked amongst you - I'd like to offer a few comments from the UK end.

First off PPRuNe isn't the bees knees - at some point something better will come along but we keep on working to improve the site.

Being in the UK provides some strengths and weaknesses depending on how you're feeling. We provide a lovely target for your vitriol (staid/whingeing/ anal/ colonistic/patronising Poms) but we'd argue that our total isolation from the OZ/NZ industry means we offer true impartiality when you war with each other and we have to step in.

It's also comforting to have us to there to advance the oft heard claim we simply don't understand the forthright, freespeaking culture you have.

Certainly makes you feel better but sadly that doesn't bear a moment's scrutiny as it is full blooded Australians who are offended by this forum and set the proven lawyers upon us at the Towers. Presently more than 90% of legal threats still come as the result of comments on the Australian industry.

Therefore the site has to be moderated - we know we can't win that one with you and have to take the flak as and when it comes. There will always be a percentage of you who disagree with any/all editing/deletions or bans.

We consider it better that you have open, named human beings like me and Danny to rail at . It doesn't offend us when you have a go at us because it helps keep the site healthy. Writing about anyone else though and you stick to the Ten Thingies.

Using this site isn't compulsary. We offer a world perspective that many of you find interesting and useful. There are already alternatives out there so I'd really hope there's one other person we can persuade to enter the debate.

Ultralights has done the hard work, he's got a site up and running. Here in the UK we'd be interested to read his thoughts on moderation versus staying out of court in terms of the content he finds on this forum.

Best Wishes to you for the New Year,
Rob Lloyd