PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flightsuits and Survival Suits
View Single Post
Old 16th Nov 2005, 14:55
Windy Pants

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Try

www.silvermans.co.uk

You can get RAF issue Nomex suits for £65.

Do I have to add, "don't work there, no affiliation"

...on a similar note and not so much "off topic" can we discuss why when the subject of helmets & flight suits come up, you always get the usual respopnses of..

"...you'll scare the PAX..."

"...you'll look a tw@t..."

etc. etc.

I can maybe agree that if you wear military versions in a civilian environment, then yes you do look a bit of a "Top Gun" wannabee, but what's wrong with civilian versions.

One thing I do agree with, if not in a shirt/tie/VIP scenario, is the wearing of a helmet if it's your choice. It's nothing to do with looking it's to do with safety. Like a previous poster commented, you're in the heli for a large part of your year, your PAX might only be in it 1/2 an hour. Statistically you are more likely to benefit from it than you PAX.

Also in the unlikely event of some form of strike on the cockpit the helmet could prevent serious injury. Additionally in an accident the helmet could prevent you from being knocked unconscious and maybe enable you to fly the helicopter to a safe landing. Likewise if you did crash you may be the only conscious person on board as you had a helmet, therefore you could be the only person available to pull people from the wreckage.

I see the pilots safety as the passengers safety.

Whenever I flew in a heli as a passenger, I just took it as being part of the kit a pilot was required to wear, I also thought a smartly presented flight suit looked professional and appropriate for the role of a professional pilot.