PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AAIB Report - Microlight Accident
View Single Post
Old 16th Nov 2005, 11:41
Stafford

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The report itself is a bit raw of course and I feel for the families and friends of the victims.

The incident was tragic, but NOT typical of the microlighting fraternity and it's aircraft.

There will always be scope for human error and failures in the process to minimise it but don't tar the whole community with one incident which is, as you say, still sub judice despite the issue of this "report" into the public domain.

Microlight flying is a safe, exhilarating way to get us normal bods into the air and as I fly group A and Microlights I can assure you that there have been similar tragedies and human error in GA, and on our roads every hour of every day !

The fairly spectacular and avoidable nature of this incident just emphasises the waste of human life and consequent grief of the families. Life is dangerous, and some of us humans choose to accept manageable risk as part of the fun of flying but as a society, I can't help feeling that the developing HSE culture would have us all wrapped in cotton wool and monitored for individual thought and action. ALL my colleagues in microlighting are very responsible individuals with familes to think of so short cuts are unthinkable to them

I personally think certain aspects of the report is crap and there appears to be an element of emotion and knee jerk reaction involved for reasons I can't quite understand. Purely my opinion of course having read and re-read it several times.

Last edited by Stafford; 16th Nov 2005 at 12:51.