PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lightning Climb-to-height records
View Single Post
Old 16th Nov 2005, 06:03
ORAC
Ecce Homo! Loquitur...

Received 1,597 Likes on 733 Posts
Lightningmate,

If you believe reference.com, Mike Hale. Also claims to have overtaken Concorde as it was doing M.2.2, See here. Not sure if it was him, but I certainly watched someone do it, though Concordeīs speed was fluctuating a bit to maintain a constant height.

I was also a controller at Boulmer as they were leaving service and everyone was trying to outdo each other. Certainly controlled a few high speed runs which got past M2.0 and a few zoom climbs that exceeded 80K on the height finder. One in particular where the pilot went over the top over the agressor area because he claimed he couldnīt turn because he was ballistic, turning end over end, and with both engines flamed out........

ps, Also, going a long way back, remember a memorable intercept out of the Wattisham lightning wing. The FAF used to provide Mirage IV targets during exercises. Weīd get the nod from LATCC as a FAF KC135 with chicks headed up the North Sea and would plug an F3 into a tanker waiting for a high speed target to enter cover, break the F3 off the tanker and do a frontal with a Red Top. Tick VG, off home.

One exercise there was a screw-up and the F3 only had Firestreak. The Mirage duly broke cover at M2.1+ and the WO controller broke the F3 from the tanker and did a U26A intercept (180x26 converting to a 90x10ish). He rolled him out long at 6nm. The F3 closed the gap, claimed a Fox 2 just north of the B1 at over 50K- and then diverted to Coltishall because he didnīt have the fuel to make Wattisham. Straight in approach and stopped on the runway. I donīt think they could find any measurable fuel in the tanks. Could name the pilot, but wonīt.....

Last edited by ORAC; 16th Nov 2005 at 06:19.