PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Decisions - Bending The Rules and The Double Bind
Old 15th Nov 2005, 21:36
Sunfish

Received 90 Likes on 33 Posts
Thought so Megan. I worked for the same company. I was responsible for 36 tankers and the millions of litres of Petrol and jet fuel we had at the terminal.

As an "Executive Engineer" it was understood that I would be posted every two years. The salary and benefits were fantastic, including "golden Handcuffs' between the ages of 35 and 45.

Trouble is, you try looking after an oil terminal and 36 trucks with the budget and staff provided, and comply with the reams of company safety procedures!

My nightmare was a truck losing its brakes or suchlike in a crowded country town main street carrying 36,000 litres of petrol. I bought a kingpin gauge and started a brake inspection and overhaul program - and ran straight into "purchasing procedure difficulties".

Next, after a worldwide tour and lecture about company business ethics by a VP from the States (which was part of a court imposed penance for some U.S. ethical breakdowns) I discovered that I was paying for oily toxic waste to be illegally dumped at a local municipal tip ($100 per barrel to truck driver, $100 to bulldozer operator, $100 to tip crew).

I reported this to the operations manager (the angry ant) and he then became apoplectic, threatening me regarding disclosure and refusing to do anything about it.

I finally realises that this was an "ethically challenged" company and left shortly after. You were supposed to toe the line and hope like hell nothing happened on your watch, knowing you would be transferred in two years and it would be someone elses problem.

The gas plant problem was predictable, as was the company's disgusting and corrupt response.