PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sky Marshals - The Joke has started...
View Single Post
Old 24th Dec 2001, 14:32
Feeton Terrafirma

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

It's a sad day in Oz when some twit in the government puts some other twit in an aircraft with, not only a lethal weapon but one with the potential to damage the aircraft to the point it cannot continue in controlled flight.

I read on another post that the pistols provided use a projectile which is designed not to penetrate the fuselage however there was no mention of all the very important bits ‘n pieces which are inside the fuselage and quiet vulnerable. Wiring and hydraulics are the first things to spring to mind, but I’m guessing that in some A/C fuel would be an issue too.

Then from the point of view of someone with minimal training in self-defence, I am still very aware of just how easy it is to remove a weapon from someone, particularly in a confined space where they cannot arrange clear space around themselves. It seems to me to be an instant provision of firearms to a terrorist, rather than a preventive measure.

It worries me to the point where I will certainly think twice about boarding a flight, if I have other options, such as driving.

My suggestion would be that a couple of highly trained marshals armed with hand to hand combat skills would be much safer. The hand (as a weapon) cannot be taken away and used against them, and it won’t damage essential A/C systems when used in anger either. Possibly another point in it’s favour is the fact that it can be used in a non lethal manner, or otherwise as appropriate, and it’s use is much easier to control in that respect.

OK that my thoughts on the matter, next……………