PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - So what's up at Polar? (Merged again & again)
Old 15th Nov 2005, 03:20
Beaver Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Route Authority

Non Sched,

Belated answer to your question is that apparently some route authority is transferable and some is not, and without a lot of research I can't tell which is which. Probably AAWH or the DOT can tell - perhaps you could ask them.

I have heard a RUMOR that the China routes may be transferable. For example if Atlas were to sell Polar to UPS it would probably be for the China route authority, thus allowing them to compete with FedEx. However, I wonder if the aircraft leases and the route authority would be utilized by UPS and the Polar pilot group go the way other UPS purchases have gone.

Others have told me that some route authority can be transfered within the business. So it is possible that the China, Japan, or SA routes could also be transferred to Atlas from Polar (or Vice Versa).

Having said all that, it appears that in most cases the route authority follows the certificate. This is one reason AAWH has said the Polar certificate will be the "surviving certificate." However, AAWWH has proven itself adept at creative accounting, so it would not be a stretch to think that creative certificate and route authority manipulation is out of the question.

I guess the short answer is - who knows - best bet if you work for Polar OR Atlas is to have your CV polished and ready to mail.

bd

Last edited by Beaver Driver; 15th Nov 2005 at 05:45.