PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Police Aviation...............safety problem or not ?
Old 14th Nov 2005, 23:18
bandeeto

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dear All,

An interesting set of replies, some technical quoting PAOM, and some not so technical - call me baggage etc.

Yes the buck stops with the pilot, but its not that simple, we all know that - pilots get maxxed out too. Who are you all trying to kid - never missed an atc call? Never had an observer say 'thats tower shouting on you' or even 'whats that smell/noise/banging' etc.

"JT, we need to go to XYZ on a heading of 120, 3 miles"
"OK, I am routing around the prison avoid and everyone look out for the mast at ABC"
"No I'm not looking out for the mast, thats your job your the pilot, I'm already maxxed out with my A to Z and the radios, I'll be eyes in for the next 2 or 3 minutes" or even worse..silence..

That is not a good scenario for flight safety - especially not at weather minima, in the dark. If you were the pilot, how would you feel - back to the office??

And how often does the pilot see 'joey' before the observers!! I'm sick of them gettin the chalk - but at least the bad guy is locked up!! If we all stuck to our own jobs it wouldn't work...we all know it, but hate to admit it.

Quote: My skills or otherwise at reading air charts, GPS readouts, TCAS indications, approach plates, Ts and Ps etc etc are of no consequence if it all went tits..

The point being that all your skills above may STOP it going tits in the first place..or at least kate moss becoming jordan..

Stay safe..and like Roy Walker said - "Just say what you see"

Love, El Bandeeto