PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Liberalizing medical requirements
View Single Post
Old 13th Nov 2005, 14:32
Otterman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MEDICALS. NB Changes to JAR-FCL 3

Just received some interesting news from my union. At a meeting of the JAA at the end of October, 2005. Held in Hoofddorp in the Netherlands, a large package of new measure was agreed to relating to our medical requirements. They all imply a loosing up of many of the stiff regulations that are contained in JAR-FCL 3. Some of the changes are:

1) Pilot above age 40 seeking a renewal of their class 1 medical will only have to be medically tested every 12 months instead of the previous 6 months.
2) The eyesight requirements will become a lot less rigid. No exact details mentioned. But I know at my company alone there are about a 150 guys who are very relieved.
3) Colour-blind tests will no longer be included in your medical renewal, only done during initial medical.
4) The EEG requirement during initial medicals is dropped.
5) Only pilots above age 50 will require an ECG every 12 months. This used to be 40 and every 6 months.
6) A protocol will be set up allowing insulin depended pilots with Type II diabetes to retain their Class I medical.
7) Any pilots not meeting the current requirements, but meeting the new ones will be granted a waiver.
8) And this waiver will be grandfathered when the switch happens from JAA to EASA in 2007.

There are other changes, but these are the highlights I could find. It will take about 12 months before the new rules that have been agreed to will be put into law. But I think this is a great day for many of us. As a plus 40 fellow, not having to go to the doctor every six months is something to look forward to.
Greetings O.

Last edited by Hawk; 15th Nov 2005 at 17:46.