PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Remembrance Day - 2008 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 12th Nov 2005, 23:18
la calda

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remembrance Day

Politicians have already come in for some stick on this thread, quite possibly rightly.

Flip side of the coin. As a very lowly local councillor somewhere in the wilds of North Britain I will today attend three remembrance day ceremonies. The congregations in each are very small, no more than 40. I will be there to lay a wreath on behalf of my authority.

The three churches are all attended to by the same minister. He and I start at 9 am and go through until 12 noon. There’s tea & biscuits after each one but we can only attend the last one as we have to rush off to the other two ceremonies. After that it’s become the custom for the minister and myself to repair to his for a dram where my wife collects me, sometimes much later. There are 67 of my councillor colleagues who will also be doing this to varying degrees elsewhere in our region tomorrow.

I’ve just finished ironing my white shirt and black tie. My suit, coat, scarf and gloves are laid out, my shoes are immaculate. The wreath I lay will be the only one these people will have. There are no forces reps, no British Legion, no scouts or guides. I want to put on a good show for them as I’m the only official recognition they’ll get tomorrow. Their gratitude is enormous. They are mostly very elderly and there are fewer each year. As the congregations dwindle even further I'm sure these churches will either merge or close soon. Until then I am privileged to be able to carry out this duty.

Last edited by la calda; 12th Nov 2005 at 23:43.