PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - When is a heading...
View Single Post
Old 11th Nov 2005, 22:43
jovica

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gary Lager

Generally, when you (I mean, we) ask for a heading, prior vectoring, that may mean couple of things. First, when making opposite/same direction - parallel track you need to know heading in order to do it (second A/C may get “Fly heading XXX”), when you need to know the drift angle in order to vector properly, or when you want to be precise.

OK - quick poll: if you ATCOs tell an aircraft to turn left/right by a certain number of degrees, do you expect a readback of the new heading without asking for it?
I cannot answer to that question because according to the rules in Serbia, we are NOT allowed to vector without prior asking for the heading, apart of track adjustment, non gyro radar vectoring and using the phrase “Fly heading XXX”.
Anyway, using “turn left/right by XX degrees” is, from my point of view, more guessing or assuming than vectoring. No need for that, unless, you ran out of time and/or options.

I\'ve made a mistake.
We are not allowed to vector without prior asking for the heading, apart of track adjustment, non gyro radar vectoring and avoiding actions. Sorry about that.