PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aircrew Fatigue
Thread: Aircrew Fatigue
View Single Post
Old 11th Nov 2005, 08:35
makintw

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A pprune virgin writes:

I woke up in Vancouver 7am local time, Tuesday, packed, had a couple of meetings in the morning before catching a 3 hour AC flight to LAX, arriving around 6pm.

Waited there until 11.30pm for a 14 hour SQ flight to TPE, arriving 6am local on Thursday. Slept (dozed) a few hours on the flight. Another wait, this time 3 hours before a short 40 min hop to KHH. Finally getting home at midday.

Slept a bit in the afternoon. Fed and played with my 8 month old son. Went to sleep around 10pm and slept 'til 7am, but was woken a few times in the night by junior.

In the office around 9am, bright and breezy, but now I'm sitting at my desk here in Taiwan where it's 5pm on Friday and I'm feeling well and truly cream crackered.

The above were the final sectors of a month long round the world trip, TPE > SIN > AMS > MAN > LHR > AMS > CPH > HEL > CPH > MAN > BEL > MAN > LHR > IAD > MEM > CHT > ATL > YYZ > LGA > DEN > YVR > LAX > TPE > KHH. And these are just the flights. Add to these the train journeys, and many miles driven in UK, US and Holland. Oh....and the meetings in between.

Luckily I've only got a 45 minute drive home tonight and the weekend to try and recover from the 16 hour time difference and lack of sleep.

I'm just a pax, so I really do wonder how all of you at the pointy end can keep up with this type of travel month in month out without starting to suffer, not just from fatigue, but long term health and personal issues.