PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Aircraft Production...Production Cost Reduction
Old 8th Oct 2001, 19:30
gaunty

Don Quixote Impersonator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I haven't worked the numbers but there would be as many cars come off a largish car manufacturers production line in a day, as all of the aircraft manufacturers put together build in a year, which is why the cost per unit is where it is.

The Aerospatiale GA product (Trinidad/Tobago), is all CNC stuff and you don't need to cut to fit as every part is the same as the other.
But that and their helicopters are a legacy of the humungously huge, large, big, immense, collosal, ginormous, monstrous and great amount of money spent on the R & D technology by the Airbus mob for manufacturing the big kids aircraft. What they sell them for (Trinidads etc) and what they really cost are undoubtedly 2 different things.

I think Eclipse are up to around AUD$200,000,000 and they have only just started to cut metal and they still have the certification road in front of them.

I wont say designing an aircraft is easy, because it's not, but aviation history is littered with stillborn "good ideas" and yes even the odd turkey disguised as an eagle gets airborne if you apply enough of other peoples money in a quest for some form of nationalistic jingoism.

It is a long and winding road to a succesful product in the long term. Ask Messrs Boeing, Cessna, Dassault, Bombardier, Gulfstream and Airbus. The rest are still scratching their heads trying to work out what happened.

Douglas, McDonnell, Chance Vought, Lockheed, Martin, Curtiss, Mooney, Piper, Mitsubishi, Avro, Shorts, Vickers, Bristol, Convair, Beech, Aero Commander, Aeronca, Navion, Partenavia, Hawker Siddley, Blackburn, De Havilland, Sopwith, Fokker and so it goes, all had their day in the sun but just didn't that thing that separates them from the rest.

There are a whole lot of new ones on the way.

But they are going have to face the same problems.
The Laws of Gravity, Physics, Aerodynamics and Money.