PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Buys 10,000 Tamiflu Doses for Staff
Old 10th Nov 2005, 17:44
nick s

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi guys,

Just a simple SLF who's been browsing this site for a while, but motivated ito registering due to the absolute nonsense posted about Vitamin C, by Rima E Laibow.

There are so may problems with his methodology/treatment its hard to know where to start, but seeing this is an aviation board I'll try and keep it simple and too the point...

1) H5N1 does not kill by causing scurvy, scurvy requires weeks of Vitamin C deprivation, not days, rather it kills by damaging the lungs and other organs.

2) Vitamin C is rarely detremental when dealing with flu, but it hasn't been shown to help you recover from flu either. However, the large doses that he sugesting, 7 grams and upwards until your body can take no more, is dangerous being over 11000% of the recommended daily amount yes thats 116 times over. Just don't do it!

3) Do not got to a "Natural" doctor and get 100g to 200g inject intravenously, it may kill you!

4) Do get a flu jab or the nasal spray FluMist, neither will give you encephalitus and it will prevent you from getting the standard human flu strain that is doing teh rounds this winter, which as pilots you're more than likely to be exposed to. Additionally it may just prime the immune system a small amount against whatever H5N1 may mutate into.

5) If they do produce a vaccine to H5N1 and you are lucky enough to be offered it, take it, do not pass go, do not delay, there will be great shortages of it so make the most of your chance.

6) Should you start to suffer symptons during a bird flu outbreak DO take Tamiflu or ideally Relenza (there is some evidence showing that H5N1 may have some resistence to Tamiflu). However, take whichever is available and on offer to you, as its likely these drugs will also be in short supply!

Ultimately though the only really practical steps you can take for you and your family should an human outbreak occur is to lay your hands on Tamiflu or Relenza and to avoid contact with infected people.

Personally should an outbreak occur, I will not be travelling by air, bus, train or tube. I will also forgo any situations where I will be crowded by other people, busy pubs, shops and large offices. I do not have children, but if I did would consider taking them out of school!

Should you have to mix with crowds, a closely fitted face mask will help a little, as the virus is spread by droplets and it will prevent you infecting other people. But far more important is good handwashing as you're more likely to pass it on by touching an infected surface (door handles typically) and then touch your face (mouth/nose/eyes), so be aware.

Cheers guys