PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aptitude Tests Fairness?
View Single Post
Old 10th Nov 2005, 11:28
NeoDude

Aptitude Tests Fairness?

Hi all,

I have recently been informed by NATS that I have failed the Aptitude Test stage of my application.

Although NATS policy is not to provide feedback, I sent a mail asking which test/tests that I had failed.

There response was that there are only 2 tests that have a set cut-off point and they are the Motivation Paper and the Basic Checking paper. Whilst passing the motivation paper I was not up to the required standard on the Basic Checking paper.

Whilst not wishing to sound like I am complaining or moaning about my result I believe I know a valid reason why Myself and other applicants might not perform as well as others on this paper.

When invited to the aptitude test stage a link is given to sample papers on the SHLgroups website. One of the sample tests is a Basic Checking test in the same form as the actual test. However in the sample paper one of the questions has 2 correct answers i.e. duplicate numbers. Keeping this in mind on my test day I spent longer on each question than I normally would ensuring that there were no duplicates, there were none. I believe that this is the reason that I failed this test.

Does anyone agree with me that this situation gives an unfair advantage to those who have not taken the sample papers? as they would not be expecting duplicate answers?

I think that if there is no intention to have duplicate answers in the actual test then the sample paper should be changed to reflect this.

Thoughts?