PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA or EK? Help me with the choice.
View Single Post
Old 10th Nov 2005, 10:50
Global Nomad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TP

Another intelligent post, mind you I'd expect nothing less from you.

Bubair

Given your age, I'd say BA. Why?

Because you have sufficient time to see reasonable career progression, even though you are in a major.

A move to EK in search of a quick command may not work given the numbers now and you may find a command in BA (albeit narrow body) will occur around your EK joining date.

On another note....

Someone commented about "the horror stories of contracts being changed at will", sorry but that's far too contentious talk for me so here I go, again.

Emirates have not changed anything in my contract per se, mainly because there was virtually nothing in the contract to change. Emirates have fiddled with employment regulations (company policy which forms part of the contract) and there's not a thing you can do about that. The front page of the Emirates contract says quite clearly that Employment Regulations (effectively EK policy on employment) form part of your terms and conditions. It also states quite clearly that "You will be notified of any changes to the terms and conditions of your employment in writing"

No negotiation, no representation. So yes, they can change your conditions at will. EK's will because that's what it says in the contract and YOUR will because you signed in agreement. The only horror story here is that people have signed an employment agreement they don't understand.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'm content as long as EK works for me. When/if it doesn't, I'll move on providing there is an employment offer that exceeds what I have now. I have to take the rough with the smooth because I agreed to a contract that gave Emirates that degree of flexibility.

If you join an airline (Emirates in this case) with a weak contract (for the individual) and poor employment legislation/representation then you must accept a degree of personal accountability in your decision.

Having said all that, and given what is on the market, I'm content for now. My core conditions are much the same (or better) as the day I joined and things have worked out well.

If you want solid employment contracts and representation for the employee though, don't expect it in an expat contract.

Another reason for BA at a younger age.