PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - POP out windows that pop out in flight
View Single Post
Old 9th Nov 2005, 20:45
ConwayB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No advice for you, Geoff... but a funny story.

It may be an urban myth told by instructors at FT Rucker, the US ARMY's aviation school... but it sounded funny.

A Chinook has a number of windows along its fuselage held in by weather stripping. Pull a little yellow tab and the weather stripping pulls away and you can push the windows out.

Now, the Chinook doesn't really mind which way it flies because wind (or relative airflow) is not a huge concern.

The story goes thusly...

A foreign student at Ft Rucker (not an Australian, by the way) was flying a circuit... or traffic pattern as the yanks say, at one of Rucker's satellite airfields when the instructor turned off the aircraft's AFCS in the turn.

The Chinook doesn't take turns too well when AFCS is off and the pilot needs to make co-ordinated inputs in order to keep the aircraft balanced... unfortunately the bloggs student put in a boot full of rudder and the aircraft did a 180 degree turn and briefly flew backwards at circuit speed. (I'm sure the sound of compressor stalling was heard contemporaneously).

The rear ramp was open and the cabin was suddenly presented to the relative airflow which pressurised the cabin and popped out all the windows whilst the instructor struggled to bring the aircraft back into normal flight regimes!

I wish I was there to see it... if it actually happened. But why spoil a story with pesky facts?

Conway B