PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CPL v ATPL
Thread: CPL v ATPL
View Single Post
Old 9th Nov 2005, 18:30
jerezflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have given this so much thought my brain hurts!! The plan that seems to get most of the points for my particular case (almost PPL, 35 y/o, married, daughter, well paid job, professionally qualified) and circumstances is to do this in two completely self contained independent stages:

stage 1 - become a flying instructor by doing the CPL theory + flight training in UK, followed by an FI rating in Spain (which is where I live). This way, I would concentrate on instructing at weekends without the pressure and expense of getting an IR in 3 years, and therefore not wasting the effort at the ATPL exams. This way I could accure plenty of "quality" hours, without spending any money and leaving my job for poor wages (something that I currently could not afford). This way I could leave it there or maybe get an IR for instructing purposes only eventually.

stage 2 - If, and only if, after years of instructing, opportunities arise, I could work towards upgrading to an ATPL by sitting the exams at ATPL level, doing the IR/ME etc. perhaps closer to the experience requirements and not "low hours" with fATPL. It would be alot better of course if there existed such a thing as an ATPL "upgrade" and not have to sit the same exams as if I had no experience.

I think by doing it in stages manages the risk better of getting all the licences and ratings then not getting anything in return.

How does this sound? Has anyone thought of doing something similar? Does it make sense?

Thanks for any replies.