PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SID given climb gradient
View Single Post
Old 9th Nov 2005, 07:27
OzExpat

PPRuNeaholic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

We've all been trying to do that over the years John but it doesn't seem to be making much difference. There's always going to be one more question. It's clear to me that the folks asking these questions are genuinely worried that there's little or no information from their airline about the really difficult places.

I guess the situation won't change until we see a smoking wreck half-way up a hill after take-off. I suppose that the problem we're up against is that, to date, there hasn't been such an event - or, at least, not one that can be attributed to lack of take-off data and OEI escape information.

It's tough enough to work these things out when you can spread out all the weather data, runway data, relevant topo charts (in the right scale), and use computers and calculators to draw the relevant splays. We have time limits for this work, but at least we have the tools and training to do it.

Even on his/her best day, a line skipper couldn't do that and airlines shouldn't expect it. Now all we have to do is convince everyone else about this eh?