PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Iraq murder trial charges dropped
View Single Post
Old 8th Nov 2005, 19:30
Stafford

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Proone,

I do hope you are right and that this proposal withers on the vine ! If it was being run up the pole to test opinion then my MP certainly now has mine.

As for the Stalker enquiry, IIRC the results were never formally published since Stalker was removed and replaced by another senior officer. To be fair to Stalker, I think he even stated in his book that he found no evidence of a shoot to kill "policy". The fact that we were accused by the European Court in Strasbourg, at the instigation of the IRA propaganda machine and the Labour opposition says it all since the Government of the day had to go through the motions. If you remember, the Government fought very hard to have evidence given in camera despite the best endeavours of the IRA and the families to identify certain soldiers giving evidence, eventually from behind screens.

I contend that the current political motivation in both Iraq and retrospectively NI is there - we obviously won't agree until you see the evidence in the actions currently being considered against former and serving servicemen.

The findings on Loughgall were that the players involved had their human rights violated due to the lack of a "credible" inquiry - how ludicrous is that following a military operation where heavily armed combatants were shot dead during the commission of a crime with the intent of mass murder