PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What do you use as the trigger for the roundout and flare?
Old 8th Nov 2005, 16:02
mad_jock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have managed to get every student who has had problems through using that technique. Usually in 1 max 3 sessions.

The other things to watch for is that they are completly ready for the circuit anyway. I am a great believer in the fact that the circuit is only for teaching the landing and circuit SA/RT. If they can't fly striaght and level, climb and descend while turning and in trim for the full range of configurations they shouldn't be near the circuit. An extra couple of lessons in the GH area making sure they can quickly and easily configure the aircraft for the different stages of the circuit will save time and effort later. I know its boring for the instructor but its what you are payed for.

Tinstaafi has it spot on. They have to be able to fly to a point with a configuration at a speed. If they can't do that and be trimmed out doing relatively little flying. The whole thing becomes very dynamic. Nightmare for the student and would mean I would have to uncross my arms which just instint on.

With the down the runway thing try not to patter it unless you are demonstrating it. And remember to give them a break (from flying) when you are debriefing in flight for the next one. Let them concentrate on what you are telling them by taking control. Then giving it them back once they want it back. Don't worry about the point where they manage to get it flying along the runway at the right speed to begin with. Let them work on it then when thay have that tell them you want it done by the aiming point. And make sure they are not flying the PAPI's, that can screw them up as well. The plane is to flat with to much power on. And when they pull it off it yaws more than they expect.

The runway appearing to move towards you is a good one for judging the point. Its very hard to discribe for me, but next time you are coming into land try and notice when the runway starts to "move" instead of being a lump in front of you. When it appears to start moving towards you see if thats when you normally would start to flare. It is for me and it works in SEP's as well as turbo props. I use it with fence speeds of 130knts and it works fine with them as well.

My patter for the flare.

When it starts to "move" lift the nose slowly to near flat as you start looking at the end of the runway, as you close to the runway pitch up gently start trying to glide it and not land while slowly reducing the power to idle. All the time looking at the end using your feet to keep it pointing in a striaght line down the center line. And if you drift gently drop the wing in the direction you need to correct. Then once the picture is right for a landing (demo picture) just hold it there and keep it going in a striaght line and wait for the bump. And remember we arn't finished until we are taxiing so don't let go of everything on the ground. And please note I will be more impressed with a go around actioned by yourself than a hairy landing. If you do decide to go around I may take control and set it up again for you if there is enough runway left. Any questions.

If they take the power off before the nose comes above level they will stall it in and end up over flaring So watch for that.

MJ