PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Silence on Pakistan operations
View Single Post
Old 8th Nov 2005, 15:17
Swinging Spanner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help During Crisis

Hi all,

found another 2 cents on the ground,

As far as NGO's and other organisations go, helping in relief efforts where ever it may be, I believe the essential form of a body helping in crisis is "liquid".

Whilst it is a noble idea to have a structured form when providing effort during emergencies to maintain efficiency, I think that you need satellite efforts that make up the collective parts of an international effort.

I think it's a fundamental flaw in thinking that you can collectively organise people from different parts of the world, with varying approaches to problems, access to resources and lets face it...agenda's and run it in a smooth and efficient manner in line with the mechanics of global corporations.

I have seen on the ground how small teams and organisations can work in a particular part of an effected area and make a difference together. And if all aid bodies are working in this way, you are in effect working in a greater organised effort. How can one apply effiency to relief efforts in the middle of emergencies?

If in doubt just look at collective bodies and their associated problems with making decisions and having clear-efficient directions i.e UN and the EU. And are these bodies held accountable in the same way?!?

Dont get me wrong, when it comes to re-building and re-habilitation, then you can plan and structure. But the essence of helping in an emergency is to respond and react.

...just a thought

SS