PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What do you use as the trigger for the roundout and flare?
Old 8th Nov 2005, 10:15
FlyingForFun

Why do it if it's not fun?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GSS - that is a very good point! Haven't had anyone do that yet (but see my reply to SD below!), all my students seem to be ground-shy (as I was when I was a student). If I come across someone who tries to fly me into the ground, rather than rounding out too high, I will have to develop another technique.

MJ, I know several instructors who like that technique. My own instructor tried it on me when I was a student. I'm not a big fan of it.... mainly because it didn't work for me as a student. I didn't know where to look when I was trying to land, so therefore I also didn't know where to look when trying to fly just above the runway either. It can be useful with some students, and I've used it once or twice myself, but it's not something I use regularly. Do you (or anyone else who uses it) have much success with it?

SD, many a true word said in jest..... When a student first gets into the circuit, after demoing a circuit to them, I patter them through the circuit, including the flare. Once they're starting to get confident, I reduce and then stop the patter. One particular student tended flare nicely at first, but then started to do what GSS said, and fly into the ground, when I stopped pattering. Eventually I figured out that he was using my pattering him to look to the distance as a cue for starting the flare. If I'd told him to look to the distance at 300', that's where he'd have flared, I swear!!! As soon as I figured this out, we landed and I de-briefed him on it, and his landings are much more consistant now!

FFF
-------------