PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Question about plane spotting at night
View Single Post
Old 8th Nov 2005, 10:10
WHBM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
However can you light up an aircraft on finals with a flash ?

There was a US photographer in the 1950s called O. Winston Link (look his stuff up on the web). He used to take scenic photos of moving trains at night, using up to 1,000 flash bulbs for the shot. Presumably not what is being discussed here.

A more serious issue is tourists taking flash photos of underground trains coming into stations in London, which is certainly banned. Not only a very confined space but the driver's eyes are accustomed to tunnel darkness and the flash renders them unable to see for a few seconds, and they are relying on their vision to stop the train accurately in the platform. Don't do it on any underground.

I am also reminded of a "phone in" on the old LBC radio in London some years ago, half an hour with a photography expert. Someone phoned in to say their new flash gear was giving them no results. Initial questions like "can you see the flash going off", then "what is your subject matter ?". Back came the reply "Well, it's on a tripod, with zoom lens, and I'm trying to take a picture of the moon". Stunned silence from the radio studio ! I don't think it was a wind-up, I couldn't have kept a straight face in that situation. Just didn't understand the concepts.