PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 737-200 banked 87 deg?
View Single Post
Old 8th Nov 2005, 08:15
3 Point

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
An interesting thread; I'm going to add a comment which I'm surprised nobody has already made:

AIRBUS!

A Fly by Wire Airbus could not have rolled to 87 deg (with the flight control computers functioning normally - lets not get into multiple failures just yet) nor would it require massive stick forces to combat any unusual icing or flap/slat configuration!

I agree with chuks; there is a tendency to sit typing stuff into the FMGS and wondering "what's it doing now?" but this is easily overcome by the company expounding a philosiphy of "I don't know what it's doing now so - autopilot off, flight directors off, fly the aeroplane"

If you fly for a company whose management can't see the value of this mindset either move or get promoted to management and change it!

Don't want to get into the usual Airbus vs Boeing argument here but I thought it worth pointing out that the incident which gave rise to this thread in the first place could not have happened in a digital FBW aeroplane with flight envelope protections written into the software - it's the future, no question about it!

Happy landings

3 Point