PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I/V A/D
Thread: I/V A/D
View Single Post
Old 8th Nov 2005, 07:49
DFC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
10W,

Good points. I was aware that slots don't provide separation but my most recent involvement in an ATC's loss of separation was on an overloaded sector so there is a link between flow management and the ability of ATC to provide the services they they are required to provide in various airspaces.

I had of course assumed that the pilot had filed a flight plan before departure because otherwise, I would agree that it is unfair for a pilot on a pre-planned route (whatever flight rules) to file 10 minutes before the boundary when us long tube fliers have to file 4+ hours in advance to gain a delayed entry to the same airspace. But that is something that needs looking at by the CAA or at European level and not by the individual ATCO. If the rules need changing then that is where the efforts need to be placed.

You said: The priority will be to ensure the safe and efficient flow of IFR traffic in that area and nats said By staying VFR, priority will be given to IFR flights

Asuming the flight had filed a VFR flight plan before departure i.e. was operating normally in accordance with a filed flight plan........where does it say that IFR flights have priority in class D TMAs?

No one wants to get in anyone's way. But not operating on the long established (and sill used by the CFMU) rule of first come first served is operating outwith the rules I believe.

Of course the VFR flight (with a flight plan) could choose to hold awaiting safe clearance. How long would you hold the VFR flight for before you end up with the VFR flight stating PAN, divert me, I am low on fuel?

Don't forget that there is no requirement for a VFR flight to carry diversion fuel - simply destination fuel plus final reserve. It would be a good idea to carry a bit extra to allow for delay in gaining access to the TMA (20 minutes?) but that is it really. One good reason for filing VFR and compying with the more onerous weather requirements is the fact that the fuel load can be reduced!

Don't forget the TMA is established for traffic into and out of the TMA airfields and by NATs' own definition, Cumbernauld is a STMA airfield.

-------

Can'tremember who made the comment about wake turb but it is a wasted comment when one could fly at or just below the base of CAS and be only 500ft below a B747 that you are not aware of. What is the difference then flying at FL85 and passing below a B747 at FL90 which you have traffic info on?.....Atleast if you expect it, you can avoid it!

Spitoon,

You have put the point that I have been trying to make perfectly. I hope you are paid as much as an Area ATCO because you are providing a service!!

Regards,

DFC