PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New technology
Thread: New technology
View Single Post
Old 7th Nov 2005, 21:36
IO540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm seriously considering buying a new DA40 TDI
I would give it one more year. By then, they will be delivering the DA42 twin, and there is a LOT more hanging on that than on the DA40.

Then, make sure you get an unconditional engine warranty, prorated to the 2000hr TBO (or TBR). Not a 2-year warranty like is normal with new planes, after which you have to sue under the SOGA.

IMHO, relative to the finances of Diamond, there is less hanging on the DA40 because the Euro £150k-200k GA market is miniscule, except for flying schools where the chief USP is the tax free fuel, and the main market is the USA where they sell it with a Lyco engine.

It isn't enough to say the engine failures vary with the operating profile. It would be astonishing if they didn't. What is special that Cabair do? Circuits, probably, but a watercooled unit should be extra good with rapid power changes.

I guess that there isn't a forum because few private owners in Europe spend £150k-200k on a new plane, and the schools aren't going to advertise what they know. In this business, if you speak out you alienate your dealer and the manufacturer; they stop answering your emails and cut you out of any leeway they might otherwise give you. Don't I know it. And DA40 owners DO need plenty of leeway right now.

One really needs to wait until the warranty is finished and dead and buried before speaking out.

The other question is whether you plan to fly over a lot of water and mountains. Circuits around Cranfield is one thing, but using this plane as it is meant to be used (700nm+ legs) needs a proven engine.

Two more years, IMV