PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 'Filthy' flight decks
View Single Post
Old 7th Nov 2005, 11:10
Paterbrat

I am a figment of my own imagination

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Absolutely fascinating thread which I have for some time simply not bothered to read. I went to Executive Aviation from the Airlines and having come from an Airline where the Captain was treated with a great deal of respect I came to earth with a bump, when starting as an F/O I discovered that I was now together with the more approriate duties to pilots, the baggage loader, cabin service provider, and general aircraft cleaner.
The outfit I began working for was VVIP and carried Royalty and top Government officials. The Chief Pilot was ex Dutch Airforce and an obsessive compulsive about cabin and cockpit presentation, amongst a multitude of other things. Our aircraft sparkled inside and out and the only cleaners were the pilots. Our Ground Engineers never participated in the cleaning duties but we watched them like hawkes when they were in and out of the cabins.
I of course realise that these two segments of Aviation are world apart but having come from and recognising some of the threads complaints I can only say what a pleasure it was working in a flightdeck that was immaculate. Pledge, paintbrushes, special EFIS wipes, yes they do exist, elbow grease, dustbusters yellow cloths and Windex were all part of our kit.
Precariously ballancing out of a 72 side window and polishing a windshield may sound as though it comes from the film "Airplane" but I can assure you not having the bugs and grimy film after a threeday layover in Mexico City does wonders for vision.
While realising that the airline crews jobs neither allow for, nor should they require, flight deck cleaning as part of the duties, a culture of flight deck cleanliness most certainly should be promoted from the Management down and part and parcel of flight deck management and professionalism.
Cleanliness was, in the past, sometimes quoted as being next to Godliness. While many Capt's and F/O's may still secretly consider that their job carries them rather closer to the Diety above, it certainly wouldn't hurt all of us to do just a little bit of cleaning around us and to promote a tidier more hygenic space in the place we tend to spend many long hours inhabiting.