PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dealing with an IMC spin
View Single Post
Old 7th Nov 2005, 08:40
hugh flung_dung

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Ahem, I have a slight confession to make from a time long ago ...
We were looking at recoveries from developed erect spins in a Bulldog, above a hole in a fairly thick layer, and I inadvertently allowed the student to enter cloud during a spin - the recovery was standard but caused a certain amount of "mental focus" by yours truly. (Plainly a failure of the requirement for instructors to use their superior experience and judgement to avoid situations that require them to demonstrate their superior skill )

Afterwards I did a little practice under the hood and found that the difficult bit is the speed of response of the TI and being able to centre the rudder at the right time. The usual UP recovery on limited panel is to set power according to IAS trend, ball to centre, unload, roll until rate 1/3 indicated then centre ailerons, pitch until IAS trend reversal then check and adjust. I found that I had to use standard spin recovery to reverse the TI and get the IAS increasing and then use a standard UP recovery - but it's tough to believe the instruments after a multi-turn spin.

Another thought: knowing you are spinning is one thing but I should imagine that it would take a second or two to wake up to the fact that whilst in IMC you had entered a spin - not a pleasant situation and well worth avoiding.

In the dim distant past of my gliding days virtually all pilots were proficient at spin recoveries but not too hot at IF. It was normal to talk of "spinning down through layers" if anyone got caught on top because there was no chance of overspeeding whilst IMC - I never tried it.

HFD