PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - eye injury and the CAA
View Single Post
Old 6th Nov 2005, 23:37
Loose rivets
Psychophysiological entity

Location: Tweet Rob_Benham Famous author. Well, slightly famous.
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
It certainly is a difficult time for you, and I can only discuss this with you as little more than a sounding board while you think it through.

The expertise at Moorfields is world renowned, but sometimes new technologies are not taken up immediately...which is usually wise. However, in a case like yours, it would be nice to have a breathing space to search the world for more information, but it does sound like there is a need to press on with the treatment.

You have to balance several factors, not least of all annoying your existing doctor. While his or her professionalism will mean that they will do their very best possible for an average patient, (i.e. taking the safest route, with perhaps some disadvantages) it might be appropriate to stress the extreme affect this will have on your chosen career, and an element of risk in using new procedures may be something you want to weigh up.

During this time it may be good for you to start discussions with the Medical examiner to see if he thinks that you have enough experience to hold a licence with one eye. This gives you a worst possible scenario on which to base your plans. I know of one pilot that lost an eye when he was quite inexperienced. He is now in command of a jet transport aircraft.

I'll mention this to some of my acquaintances, but while they are interested in the science of hypothetical cases, when it comes to specifics cases, they become very guarded. I understand how they feel, but will ask anyway.

N.B. The clouding of the inner material is not uncommon--even after cataract surgery. There is a laser procedure for improving this, but I would not for one moment suggest relying on this.