PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dealing with an IMC spin
View Single Post
Old 6th Nov 2005, 21:02
orionsbelt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Instrument Spinning

Please note for information I relate my experience below, however do not try this exercise unless you are with a very experienced Aerobatic instructor in an appropriate aeroplane. (Suggest you see Alan Cassidy or his mates at EGLM )

Did some dual instrument spinning a few years back whilst learning aerobatics with an excellent (now retired) instructor.
In VMC and me using a IMC training hood.
For erect spins the Turn Indicator / Co-ordinator told the correct direction of spin whilst actually in spin and opposite rudder worked as defined. (We did not try inverted spins) As the spin stooped the indications changed but I cant remember what each instrument actually did but they were disconcerting and If I remember correctly you had to centralise rudder at different points depending if it was a turn indicator or a turn co-ordinator!

During the spin you must totally ignore the slip/skid ball, and treat the AH/DI as suspect, so you are recovering on limited panel.

If the spin was sustained for more that a couple of turns you experience (well I did )some massive sensory illusions and I had great difficulty recovering from the dive out. To the extent that initially I could not apply up elevator . You can end up going down very very fast and great care is required.

With the turn needle central you then had the problem of how to level out. So use the altimeter but ignore the VSI . Observe the rate of change of indication on the altimeter and as you climb it starts to slow so relax the back pressure. As you airspeed settles down with stable height apply S/L power and if you were trimmed for the S/L before you started the chance's are that you will be nearly S/L.

So in summary
On every spin I experienced sensory illusions which were overwhelming
You can end up going very fast straight down
I do not think I would have managed a safe recovery solo if below 3000ft we were loosing a lot of height.
Its not the best experience

One other point the Turn Indicator is subject to:-
Pitching Error;- occurs when a/c is yawing and subject to pitch up and will give an over reading.
Conversely will under read on nose down

Cheers Orion***

PS take a look at the Morning sky around 0500hrs from south to west
You will see: Saturn, Orion, The Pleiades and a fantastic Mars.

Last edited by orionsbelt; 6th Nov 2005 at 22:15.