PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Customs procedure, through bags, MAN and LHR
Old 5th Nov 2005, 19:32
Westerman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Agent x, useful post.

I'm more than happy to comply with airlines' requirements. It's not the airline I have a problem with. My problem is that my ticket agent is saying:

"There's no point me doing this [single ticket] for you because you cannot through check to a UK domestic airport", in this case, transferring at MAN, for destination GLA, "because you have to go through customs at the first port of entry".

I and others on this thread seem to think she is wrong. I need evidence to give her, so that she does the right thing. I need to be able to show her, convince her, that bags can be through checked through MAN. By removing her 'external' objection, she has to think about how to ticket my journey properly. To convince her, I need to show her:

(a) That HMRC Manchester allow bags to be through-checked for customs clearance at the customs-clearance domestic hall at GLA, in the same manner that HMRC staff and procedures at LHR allow for this while transferring passengers

- so far no evidence, but suggestions from some posters that MAN does do this, but HMRC hint that capability is limited in some instances (but what or where, and how are the airlines told what is possible as yet unknown - thanks to Ron for pointing that out)

(b) That IATA rule you mention clearly suggests that bags CAN be checked through, subject to the appropriate ticketing arrangements - could you post a link to the IATA ruling, please, or perhaps quote its text?

I think you can help on this one, because I sense you have genuine knowledge of how these things work. I'd be very grateful if you can confirm that MAN will allow bags through to GLA for clearance, and if will you quote, or paste a link to, the IATA ruling about conditions for through baggage?

And if it all fails, do you know whether I can take a trolley on the travelator trek through MAN?

regards, Westerman