PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pod Scrape at LHR
View Single Post
Old 5th Nov 2005, 15:01
GT3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You're right, in normal circumstances it should have been 27R before 3pm, 27L after. However in strong SW winds it is known that turbulence is created by the hangers and so 27L is always used when the crosswind is above a certain limit.(I won't quote the figures in case I get them wrong!)

Yesterday morning because of the wind 27L was the nominated landing runway, I believe the aircraft in question landed on the departure runway in accordance with the TEAM procedures used to tactically enhance the landing rate.

The landing runway was not decided because of the pod scrape but because of the existing crosswinds.

Ps. hope it wasn't a case of sod's law for you when the very day you get 27L , you end up parking at Terminal 1 ?
Erm... I'm afriad the above is incorrect. The daily alternation is changed every Monday morning. So week 1 would be 27L landing until 3pm local then 27R for landing after that. The next week will be 27R for landing in the morning until 3pm then 27L in the afternoon.

27L is not always used when there are strong south westerly winds. The runway used for landing will be in accordance with the weekly alternation plan. The ATIS will warn pilots of turbulence on short final during certian wind conditions.

Just to clear up the inaccuracies.