PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Freighter crash ex Bergamo?
View Single Post
Old 5th Nov 2005, 13:03
Bomber Harris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The aircraft came down in a field alongside a DHL depot, about 2 kms south of runway 28 centreline with an estimated heading of between 150-180 degrees.
Yaw String, with all due respect to both you and the accident victims, you have to be talking (or quoting) complete rubbish. If you read the post just before yours with a link to the accident weather you would see that it was foggy with 200M to 300M of visibility. The cloud was down 100 feet. It is very unlikely that the crew had more than a few seconds of visbility before contact with the ground. I don't know what happened in this accident and I won't guess at what DID happen. But I can assure you from experience that the time between visual contact and actual contact in 200m is very low even if you know what to expect to see. If you are not expecting to see anything (i.e. you are not where you thought you were), the few seconds you have to react will probably be taken up by trying to digest what it is that you are looking at through a very grey mist.

Off the topic and NOT in reference to the storey in question......I must say I do feel good when I read the "brave pilot narrowly missed school" type storey, but I know in my heart and soul the pilot is more likely to be thinkining about the safety of the aircraft in which they are flying rather than an unidentified buliding (especially if a family member is on board!). I believe in the abscence of fact, that an aircraft comes to rest at an arbitary place near where the crew loose the ability to maintain its flight path for whatever reason. Sorry if I appear cynical, it's just an opinion.