PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Be advised, RUNWAY SURFACE IS WET ;19L
View Single Post
Old 5th Nov 2005, 10:37
chuks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So, how are you coping with puberty?

Check out London Metropolitan University, Centre for Civil Aviation, 100 Minories, London EC3N 1JY for distance learning leading to a JAR ATPL. Or The Open University, Milton Keynes, if you want to study Underwater Basket-weaving, say. I did the A102 Arts Foundation Course with them and enjoyed it very much.

I signed up for the LMU ATPL residential course, starting in less than ten days. This should be a real shock to the system, sat there with a group of children, basically, and trying to keep up with learning stuff that I have either long forgotten or never bothered to learn in the first place.

The distance-learning ATPL costs about 2 000 pounds, plus the costs of travelling to and from London for the crammers and tests. The residential course costs about 2 500 quid plus the cost of cheap digs in London (about 410 pounds/month times about seven months), food and drink and local transport. These are very competitive prices, I think.

You need a medical from the CAA at Gatwick that will cost about 275 quid, including an extra eye exam first from a civilian optometrist. You have to pay 250 quid when booking this, and it can only be done at the CAA premises at Aviation House, next to the 'Beehive.'

Lots of guys I know from Lagos have got JAR licenses and jobs with various UK-based airlines, so that this is worth thinking about if the local scene is not offering much. And there are other jobs on offer world-wide with a JAR license, of course.