PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Be advised, RUNWAY SURFACE IS WET ;19L
View Single Post
Old 5th Nov 2005, 07:44
Nigerian Expat Outlaw

Nigerian In Law

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
Purple Airspace

enijose,

To answer your question as best I can, yes it does happen that airports (and airspace) close before and after VIP movements in other countries.

The difference is that these movements are NOTAMed so all operators are aware beforehand and plan accordingly.

When you are halfway back from offshore and call to enter a CTZ only to be told the airspace is closed due VIP movement it can cause some real fuel planning problems, especially given the lack of ATK in many diversion airports (which are used as last resort emergency/weather shelters).

About three years ago I submitted a NAMA service discrepancy report when this happened to me, causing me to divert to a field where (luckily) they had fuel but on a cash only basis. The reply I eventually got was that VIP movements are not disclosed for security reasons. Given the events in the Middle East and elsewhere of late, this seems a bit bit ridiculous. IMHO someone like Tony Blair would present a much more attractive target than, say Atiku Abubakar. But Tony's movements, along with the Queen etc, are NOTAMed.

Maybe there is a bit of "face" involved, to make these VIPs feel just that bit more important ?

Cheers,

NEO