PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TCAS mod req'd?
Thread: TCAS mod req'd?
View Single Post
Old 4th Nov 2005, 07:58
Soiled Glove

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WH,

I believe that it is a known fact that several of the 'smaller' airlines would regularly 'cut the corner' eg go direct from Newcastle to Aberdeen rather than take the airway route that goes inland and West of Edinburgh (sorry I don't know the airways designators). These aircraft would often fly through the Air Defence areas East of Leuchars/Leeming presumably on a VFR flightpath. On several occasions I have heard of F3s having to terminate an intercept due to 'stranger traffic' flying through the intercept - these 'stranger aircraft' were cutting the corner to save gas and time. The fighter controllers would generally keep the F3s away to prevent incidents - personally I would have thought it preferable to dust them off and force them back into the airways! See and be seen is fine in uncontrolled airspace when you can manoeuvre, but expecting to fly through military training airspace and then file an airprox/airmiss is in my view unacceptable, coupled with poor airmanship.

To summarise, one incident I am aware of, was a civilian aircraft flying en route to Aberdeen routing straight through a Notam'd 4v4 NVG lights out intercept - you can't see aircraft without lights at night even if it is wide open VFR and I know for a fact that very few civilian aircraft are fitted with NVGs!

SG