PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Adding Wi-Fi router existing network.
View Single Post
Old 4th Nov 2005, 01:06
Keygrip

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adding Wi-Fi router existing network.

Bit of a complicated start this, bear with me....

In the days before Wi-Fi was affordable, reliable or easily available, I installed a small home network using shop bought Cat5 cables.

It starts at a DSL modem (which the company said was set up as a "bridge"). Then a straight connect to a Linksys 4 port router. Cable one came out to a PC (used 24/7). Cable 2 came out to an older PC in the guest room. Cable 3 went to a wall outlet by the sofa in the lounge - in case I wanted to plug in my laptop. Cable 4 went to an outlet by the swimming pool - in case I wanted to plug that laptop in whilst sitting on the patio.

All worked great - all three computers could see each other and swap files.

The along came the network printer. It has taken port 3 - so the other two "temporary outlet" cables must swap over - depending on where I want to sit with laptop.

Now, I'm considering running another hard wired circuit to run a computer connected to the TV/Audio stuff - so that will be 4 permanent circuits and two "plug in as required".

I have also bought a Wi-Fi adaptor for the laptop - also have a new Wi-fi laptop and a Wi-Fi PDA. So, now, we are looking at 4 permanent, two temporary and three Wi-Fi (all at once).

Today I bought a Wi-Fi plus 4 port router and thought of connecting it, via a cross over cable, through the "uplink" port of the hard wired router.

When putting the CDRom in the drive to set up the new Wi-Fi router, I get the VERY uneasy and distinct feeling that it is going to kill off all the network settings that I have already working.

Is this the case - or just paranoia? How would I connect my new Wi-Fi router through the back of the hard wired router - thus making 7 wired ports and unlimited Wi-Fi capability?