PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chavez - give us parts or we give Castro F-16s
Old 3rd Nov 2005, 21:21
Ewan Whosearmy

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
G

Don't get me wrong, the foreign military sales policies of the US *and* the UK are aspects to both countries that I find reprehensible, particularly America's (seemingly) bottomless pit of money for toys to Israel, and our sales of Hawks to Malaysia. That's my personal view, but it's one also tempered by pragmatism. We need oil and political clout; they need weapons. Period. I'll just have to learn to live with it.

However, my beef with your post is that you singled-out the Spams because they've sold more than we have to a greater number of customers. My whole point is that they have done so principally because their products are, on the whole, more desirable; and if you want to pick your home team, America will probably be the first guy you choose.

I'm not sure that, when one looks at the Iraqi Order of Battle, the land mines you mention are anything more than a minor embarrassment for the Yanks. You can't actually throw a landmine at someone, but you can protect your own territory with one. It's a little different in my view from supplying them with offensive weaponry.