PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chavez - give us parts or we give Castro F-16s
Old 3rd Nov 2005, 19:47
Ewan Whosearmy

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
I used the term 'race' in the broader sense, if it offends you, substitute it for the term 'nation'.

What munitions did the US give Iraq to fight Iran? Certainly nothing of significance - Iraq's IADS was built by the French, and its Tanks, APCs and entire Air Force came from Russia and the French (Mirage F1.EQs etc.).

As for Stingers in Afghanistan, have you ever heard of a 'shelf life'? The biggest threat in OEF was from midairs with other coalition aircraft, and, I'd hasten to add, it was the Americans that did the overwhelming majority of precision strike, time sensitive taskings and CAS out there. So, if you insist that yours is a valid argument (which it isn't because the unaccounted Stingers were considered to be knackered), then it was the Yanks that went in and faced any possible repurcussions.

I haven't had the threat briefing that the Harrier guys get in Afghanistan, but I doubt very much that it includes warnings about Stingers. It's much more likely that the MANPAD threat from the Taliban consists of SA-7/14s, which are, erm, Russian...

Bottom line is that if our policy allows us to sell to the likes of Malaysia and Saudi, then I doubt we'd shy away from selling hardware to many other nations. It's more a question of whose kit is better, not who has the fewer scruples.