PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Swakopmund, Namibia
View Single Post
Old 3rd Nov 2005, 07:43
Beta Light

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Swakopmund

Hey Sex. Choc.

Last year Sept. we took some time of in Namibia and got a great deal on a train trip to Swakop, thought it would be a good idea to show the wife where I spend many a festive night on night stops, and had the best weiner schnitsel at Cuchi's bar. Last time I was there I was flying for UNTAG, so it is going back a couple of years.

What a changed place, it was pumping with tourists, and any thing from Paragliding to sand boarding in the dunes.... not a sleepy hollow anymore!!

We tryed to fly down to Sussos Vlei for a day trip, could not get a seat on any of the many C210's flying out of Swakop. The charter company's said that they had 2 days of sand storm and was trying to catch up on the flying.

I had a chat to one of the youngsters flying the C210 and he told me he work for food and accomodation, but the flying was full on and logging max hours every month.

If you are prepared to work - not just fly - for less then min. wage then go for it, but he also mentioned to me that getting a work permit is not that easy, have to be sponsored by a company, and as an Ozzie I think it might be a bit harder as there is some agreement between Southern African states on development and employment, so I think if you don't hold some kind of African passport you will find it tough to break in

Sure is much better then most of the other Sh!+ holes in Africa I worked in.

Good Luck.