PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Swakopmund, Namibia
View Single Post
Old 3rd Nov 2005, 07:12
MysticFlyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, OK...

This poor guy needs advice, and he took the obvious direction.

First off all, the place, vegetation looks a lot like you have there, even the variety it has, we play rugby and jobs are scarse too.....but there the main similarities end.

So unless you're really into adventure, there's actually more than the big 5 that can kill and that's not even refering to malaria and AIDS. But it has been done before...you have a family?

It really breaks my heart to share this with you, as will any real SAfricans, but that is unfortunately the current state of affairs. The place is beautiful, most people are GREAT, but I suggest you make a very WELL informed decision.

You may be right in looking at neighbouring SA but then the advice is to look at Windhoek, Namibia - FYWE and FYWH and in the Okovango Delta Maun, Botswana.

Personally I think it's wrong that you may land a easy job in any of these areas, as the locals are also finding it hard, not having the luxury of a strong currency as your's and affirmative action preventing them landing something alternatively. I think many share the sentiment, as your country is not as forgiving and as easy process in providing reciprocal's for SA CITIZENS, I say again, SA CITIZENS seeking employment in Oz.

Many a chappie have been lured by the romanticised version of the place and flying here, but the bureaucracy. This situation of "migrant" working have led to the deteriorating working standards with these "outfits" as they have a mentality of hiring and firing, as the que is long, "you don't like it, leave"!

Any doubts on this, refer to the local saying....this is Africa bru! (Here even a lion doesn't have it always easy.)

You may wonder why all of this....that's another threa(t)d, but think of Nelson the Great, flour bombs at rugby matches, but hey, you were probably not even born at that stage!

Ok, ready, steady, go!