PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How do pilots cope with 'ear poping'?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Nov 2005, 20:18
mad_jock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No actually Flap 5 I am scuba diver who has played the will i chance it game.

When instructing I have wittnessed many a mask suddenly fill with blood and snot when the sinuses eventually blow. I will admit though there is a difference in having 4 bar sitting behined it trying to get out.

And i have also had a barotruma of a tooth. Which when coming up from 40meters managed to explode at 15meters. I can't tell you how uncomfatable it was having to decompress for 20 mins with a mouth piece in and cold sea water spraying on the raw nerve in the tooth.

Persoanlly i do have a decongestant in my bag. Boots decongestant to be honest because it is apart from being the cheapest about also doesn't have any of the other nastys in it which make you drowsy.

And I believe the reason why your not ment to use the drug methods is more to do with the raised bloody pressure problems when reacting with certain dugs or causing low blood pressure with others.

Which is why the AME's won't let you fly while using it. But saying that I would take it if they became blocked in the cruise its better than a burst ear drum.

http://www.tiscali.co.uk/lifestyle/h...100003928.html

This is the active bit of the drug you are recommending.