PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ICAO Annex 6 Amendment Proposal Flt Ops Officer/Flęght Dispatchers
Old 2nd Nov 2005, 17:00
Opssys

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi EM.
I have avoided interrupting the exchange between 'no sig' and yourself, but now it appears to have reached a breakpoint :-)
I would like to comment on some points at random.
I have been fortunate in the last 8 years to have spent quality time in a large number of operations centres across the world.
Some follow the model familiar to us in the UK, others the USA Model and two although they have significantly diverged, are based on the Soviet Model.

In all cases the level of training of Operations Officers /Dispatchers has been very high as the carriers see this as a positive investment that has benefits for the carrier not just in a persons current job (a good decision costs less than a bad one, even if both are operationally safe), but as something that benefits the company in the future.

In the UK this doesn't seem to be the case and it should be!
Ensuring Operations Officers are of high standard ought to be a priority as the: 'Safe, Economic implementation of the companies flying programme, whilst maintaining a high level of customer service' actually keeps costs down.

In many Carriers Operations is viewed as a cost overhead. Really it should be viewed as ensuring safety, service quality and cost control.

Certification forces the Carriers to invest in Operations Staff and as no sig points out in most cases this is going to be the only way they will.

Will certification have a direct impact on salaries, yes, but I believe not as much as you indicate.

I am now rambling so that's it
DIH