PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I/V A/D
Thread: I/V A/D
View Single Post
Old 2nd Nov 2005, 16:48
Timothy

Sub Judice Angel Lovegod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I/V A/D

I was confused yesterday by an exchange that maybe someone can help me avoid next time. You might need a Southern Scotland chart in front of you.

I was VFR F085 over the middle of Spadeadam, tracking towards TLA inbound to Cumbernauld. I was handed over to Scottish (124.5, I think) by Newcastle.

Scottish asked if I wished to proceed VFR or IFR and I nominated to continue V.

They then told me to report descending to avoid controlled airspace. I requested entry into the class D airspace VFR, which seemed to surprise the controller and put him out a bit. As I approached the edge of the 85+ bit of Class A I reported descending to F084 to remain outside.

Eventually I was handed over to another frequency, but still not given a clearance and, with about three miles to run, asked for a clearance to enter controlled airspace. I was cleared to enter in the descent to 6000' and to call Edinburgh Approach.

Can anyone explain what was happening at the ATC end? Why is there an assumption that if I fly VFR I have to fly below Class D airspace? Why as I was under RIS and rapidly approaching the zone boundary was not a clearance offered? Why, having been handed over to an Area sector for zone entry was I handed to Edinburgh as I entered CA? Why did this scenario (which I would have thought would be a regular event for VFR arrivals at Cumbernauld and both big airports) seem to surprise and discombobulate the 124.5 controller?

As ever, I want to understand, I am not criticising.