PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Warning! Don't do this....
View Single Post
Old 2nd Nov 2005, 09:29
Piltdown Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes I would. Tupperware refers to plastic - not too difficult that one (and given the choice, I'd prefer tupperware any day - I have spent a enough time in plastic gliders to appreciate their performance). And DIY IR - I was under the impression (probably wrongly) that the person being busted didn't have an IR but just gave themselves one - like too many others who swan around in the airways.

But two final points: Firstly, the ADF is a very useful bit. Not only does it situational awareness but it also allows an approach when nothing better is available (a very common accurance). Secondly, a very quick search on the internet would reveal that to fly "airways" in the UK, one needs the following electronics: 760 channel radio, SSR transponder (Modes A and C), VOR, DME and ADF (or DECCA). To make an ILS approach you need to have appropriate navigation aids, which implies that an ILS and Marker Beacons need to be installed as well . To say you have all of this, you tick the appropriate box on the flight plan. And, IMHO, they need to be working. The only thing you don't need is GPS.