PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Interesting Landing Video
View Single Post
Old 2nd Nov 2005, 07:00
The Helpful Stacker

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
I noticed this topic on Arrse the other day and was surprised by how many 'holier than thou' attitudes our Army brethren had about this issue. Good to see they are of a similar level on here too.

Having worked on many boggy FARP's during my 6 years with the UK's premier (Stafford based) tactical fuels element I have personally seen many helicopters 'sink in' on exercises and ops yet fly away without any under carriage checks.

The only time I can remember an a/c shutting down to check its under carriage after landing on boggy ground it was a Chinook in that most boggy of locations, Wet Freugh.

Yes I'm aware that these days 'pushonitis' is supposed to be stamped out but even a highly trained pilot is still just human at the end of the day and it happens. Luckily in this case it seems he got away with it, no doubt returned to Wallingford Aerodrome for a chat without biscuits from someone importantish and is now a little wiser.

Of course I realise being a humble stacker places my overall knowledge on this subject (when compared to the many old and bold frequenting this site) at a premium but I have a few spare tuppence's and felt generous today.