PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Should a BFR be a "Flight Test"?
View Single Post
Old 27th Feb 2002, 16:19
oldrotorhead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Should a BFR be a "Flight Test"?

Following some dialogue between myself, colleagues and CASA regarding some unsatisfactory performances recently observed during the conduct of BFRs, I would like to stimulate some discussion on whether Flight Reviews ( either Aeroplane or Helicopter) should be regarded as a "Flight Test", and conducted in accordance with the appropriate standard required for the relevant licence; ie PPL CPL or ATPL..... .It would seem that in some quarters at CASA at least, there exists the view that by very definition of a flight review - ie. " a test of the aeronautical skills, etc......", that the "review" should be conducted as a "test" with a "pass" or "fail" assessment..... .Please don't be flinging dung at me for bringing this up, as my personal view is irrelevant. I do think however, that the original intent of the legislation was that the "review" was that it be just that - ie. a "review".....an opportunity for the pilot to be brought up to date and have his skills honed appropriately by an appropriate instructor - no pass or fail recorded.. .What does concern me now is that there is no protocol as to what the person conducting the review should do if someone were to "fail" the "test", as it were. Certainly, commonsense might dictate a certain course of action should a pilot display blatent and dangerous tendencies and be an obvious danger to us all, etc...however, I know I have often flown with people who have done things during the review which would have scored them an immediate fail on a licence test - sometimes there isn't the time, nor resources on the part of the "reviewee" to get themself adequate remedial training at that time; therefore, wot to do if you are the instructor??. .I understand that there is considerable discussion amongst the troops at CASA about this definition of the flight review, so what is ya'all's opinions out there?